Friday, May 4, 2012

Mother's Day Silhouettes!

I have always wanted silhouettes of my own children (hint, hint to my husband) so I decided to give it a try this year. I scoured my favorite site for all things crafty {pinterest.com, follow me here http://pinterest.com/bree_d_williams/} and found this really great activity making silhouettes. Visit the original tutorial here: http://www.thesitsgirls.com/food-lifestyle/do-it-yourself-make-your-own-silhouettes/

I tweaked the activity from "Women Get Social" to make it easier for me to complete for my entire class in just one afternoon. Here are the steps I took:

First, take pictures of the students up close against a neutral background. I choose our smart board. I covered of the child's face for anonymity. You get the idea. Kind of like a Kindergarten Mug Shot!

Then I printed all of the pictures in a 5X7 size on white paper from my classroom printer.
Next I copied those pictures (using the copier machine) onto black construction paper. Then I cut around each child's silhouette. You have to cut carefully and closely follow the lines of each child's picture. I have to admit they are so cute!
Last, I glued the reverse side (opposite where the picture is copied) onto the back of their Mother's Day Questionnaire. {Get the questionnaire for free from my post earlier today!}

All done and ready for the laminator! I will send this home as their final project for their Mother's Day Gifts! I am pleased with how they turned out and it only took one planning period (45 min) to print, cut-out, and glue.

I hope you've been inspired to try this with your students or your own children {Can anyone guess what I'm doing this weekend with my own kids? Check out the finished products on Sunday over at www.breewilliamsphotography@hotmail.com)



1 comments:

Michelle Tsivgadellis said...

I decided to come on by and check out your lovely blog - you can thank Hadar...she just thinks you are fabulously sweet!!

I look forward to reading your posts!!



Michelle
Visit My Blog
Email The 3AM Teacher
Visit My FB Page

Post a Comment